What To Do in the Event of a Death
1. Telephone the Gibbons Funeral Home: +1 (630) 832-0018
2. Inform Gibbons Funeral Home of the following information:
- Who you are
- Your Telephone number
- Who has passed away, and at what time
- Where the deceased is located
- The cause of death if known, and their approximate condition
- Make an appointment immediately with Gibbons Funeral Home
3. Gather information for the Death Certificate:
- Full name and middle initial of the deceased
- Date and place of birth
- Social Security number
- Military record
- Marital status
- Father's name
- Mother's name and mother's maiden name
4. Select clothing and personal items for the deceased.
- Several recent photographs
- Full set of clothing, including undergarments
- Eyeglasses, dentures, etc.
- Religious symbols (cross, rosary, etc.)
5. Gather Obituary Information:
- Gibbons Funeral Home will normally write the article and submit to the newspaper(s).
6. Decide an appropriate memorial to which gifts can be made.
- (Church, Hospice, Library, School, or Charity)
7. Select Pallbearers.
8. Make a list and contact by telephone:
- Immediate family
- Close friends
- Employer or business colleagues
9. Locate the will and notify the Lawyer and Executor.
10. Arrange for members of the family or close friends to take turns answering door or telephone. Keep a careful record of all calls.
11. Arrange for childcare, if necessary.
12. Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends.
13. Check and notify:
- All Life and Casualty Insurance Company(s)
- Death benefits
- Bank or Credit Union
- Trade Union
- Fraternal organizations
- Military organizations (American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars)
14. Prepare a list of distant persons to be notified.
15. Social Security:
- Gibbons Funeral Home will prepare Social Security Form SSA 721.
- If checks are automatic deposit, notify bank of death.
- Check with Social Security at (800) 772-1213 to see that number is retired, and for additional benefits.
16. If deceased was living alone, notify:
- Utility companies
- Post Office - forwarding address